The Institute for Public Policies Bucharest organized on 16.04.2014 a public debate: “Effects of the new sanitation law and the responsibilities of the authorities, sanitation operators, recyclers and collectors in the packaging and WEEE streams in order to achieve recovery and recycling targets”.
The event was attended by over 100 people, of which:
- Representatives of the central authorities: Parliament (Industry Commission), Ministry of Environment, Ministry of Economy, ANRSC, Competition Council, AMPOS Environment, NEPA.
- Representatives of local authorities: county councils, mayors of cities, mayors of municipalities, ADI 's, Romania Municipalities Association, Association of Towns in Romania
- Representatives sanitation operators, including Romanian Association of Sanitation, Urban League
- Representatives of producers: Ecorom Ambalaje, ECOTIC (Dragos Monk Valentin Negoita) Recolamp, Intersemat.
- Recycling industry representatives: Aluminum Alro, Green Group, Vrancart, Metalrom, CIROM Cement Industry
Organization of such an event was necessary, iin the context of the approval of the 101 sanitation law by the Parliament that was later rejected by the President of Romania as a result of an unfavorable opinion from the Competition Council but also due to many uncertainties raised by the recycling industry.
The discussions lasted all day, all parties listed above come with pros and cons on the legislative changes. The conclusion of the debate was that the current situation has to change, considering that by 2020 we have to recycle 50% of waste generated by the population.