Portable batteries are a portable source of electricity that can be used in a wide range of devices, from toy remote controls to luxury portable devices. Due to the constant development of new products and innovation, more and more devices that require batteries to operate have been introduced to the market.
Portable batteries come in a variety of shapes, sizes and compositions. For the functionality of your device and your safety, it is important that you make the right choice when selecting a battery, keeping in mind some basic principles to ensure the safe use of the battery and the device.
General safety principles
- As a starting point, both the device instructions and the information on the battery pack must be read carefully and understood by the consumer. They contain information about the type of battery recommended for use with the device;
- Improper use of batteries (eg throwing them into a fire, overcharging, using the wrong polarity, etc.), as well as handling them, is very dangerous and can lead to serious injuries and damage to the appliance;
- Instructions for charging rechargeable batteries:
- Observe the polarity of the batteries
- Use only the type of battery that is compatible with the charger
- The ideal charging conditions are at room temperature
- Do not recharge non-rechargeable batteries (primary)
Tips for buying batteries
Before purchasing batteries online or in physical stores, please check all applicable safety and operating instructions provided by the manufacturer with the product or online. Please be extra careful if the batteries are:
- Sold without the correct logo or brand of the manufacturer
- Sold at an extremely low price, which could indicate counterfeit products
- Sold without packaging and / or instructions for use
- It is marketed as 'OEM', as this may mean that the manufacturer is not a reliable battery manufacturer.
Safe use of lithium-ion batteries
Manufacturers have realized that some people may use lithium-ion cylindrical battery cells in a way that does not correspond to the purpose for which they are intended to be used, for example in products such as eCigarette and vape pens. Due to their high power, some Li-ion cells require safety measures to make their use safe.
Improper use of Li-ion cells in eCigarettes and vape pens can cause serious risks to property and personal safety.