One of the systemic problems identified by ECOTIC in the field of WEEE is related to the way in which WEEE operators are authorized. In January, ECOTIC submitted to the Ministry of Environment, Waters and Forests the proposal son the need for changes in the legislation governing the authorization of these operators.
The proposal has been structured in such a way as to highlight both the state of the art in the field of WEEE (from the way the collection and treatment infrastructure works, to the way in which environmental permits are currently issued for and the treatment of WEEE, and which negatively influences important parameters such as the calculation of recycling and recovery rates or collection performance at national level), as well as regulations that need to be amended, in order to improve the impact and consequences of maintaining the current context.
The proposed amendments refer to the specific authorization procedure for the treatment of electrical and electronic equipment, by establishing clear administrative, organizational and technical requirements to be met in order to obtain authorization.
The proposal made by ECOTIC can generate changes and types of positive impact in the field of WEEE in Romania. We quote from the document sent for consultation to the Ministry of Environment, which can be downloaded here si address afferent:
- It will facilitate the activity of the commissions for issuing the environmental permit in terms of the elements to be assessed;
- The content of environmental permits for treatment operators will be harmonized;
- The quality of control inspections will increase, with clear elements to be verified;
- It will increase the quality of WEEE treatment operations in terms of detailed process description, activity monitoring, increasing the level of authorization and control;
- The quantities of hazardous compounds extracted from WEEE and which will reach the neutralization stations will increase, not in the environment. The activity of the neutralization stations will increase;
- The number and level of training of people involved in WEEE treatment will increase;
- The quantities of WEEE reported will increase as well as the quantities of WEEE properly treated;
- The number of operators who currently hold a license and do not comply with the law regarding the proper treatment of WEEE will be reduced.
"This proposed legislative amendment is part of ECOTIC's strategy to launch a common and beneficial vision for the WEEE field in Romania, so that all parties involved and interested in a real advance in this field can contribute to achieving the country's targets in terms of collection of this type of waste. We consider the contribution of the Ministry to be essential, but it is our duty, as players in the industry, to be vigilant, proactive and collaborative.. ” Dragoș Călugăru, General Manager of ECOTIC