ECOTIC joins this year the National InfoCons Campaign "Shut Down, Shut Down, Recycle!", With the message of the need to collect separately waste electrical and electronic equipment and waste batteries. Through this new campaign, ECOTIC and InfoCons aim to contribute to the awareness of Romanian consumers and local authorities regarding the separate collection of waste.
As an EU member state, Romania has a mandatory national target for the collection of waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) of 45%. ECOTIC and InfoCons aim to inform citizens about the importance of WEEE collection and recycling by running this campaign at national level. Although the trend has been upward in recent years in terms of separate collection of this category of waste, sustained efforts are needed to intensify collection actions leading to the achievement of the target.
"We are convinced that through this joint campaign we will contribute concretely to better inform Romanian citizens about their responsibilities in the field of selective waste collection and recycling," said Valentin Negoita, President of ECOTIC.
In this context, it is worth highlighting the triple stake of separate collection and recycling activities that have an important ecological, economic and social impact.
Why do we have to collect waste electrical equipment and used batteries separately?
- Used electrical equipment and batteries contain toxic substances such as mercury, phosphorus, cadmium and other heavy metals or various bromides that pollute the soil, water and air.
- By the correct recycling of WEEE are recovered secondary raw materials that will be reintroduced in the economic circuit and will be found in new products.
- If we recycle 1 million mobile phones, we recover 250 kg of silver, 24 kg of gold, 9 kg of palladium and 9 tons of copper.
- If we recycle 10.000 TVs, we recover 130 tons of glass, 30 tons of plastic, 25 tons of iron and 10 tons of copper.
- A single used battery thrown in the trash, then reached the landfill, can pollute a square meter of land and 10 liters of water
"A cleaner environment means a better life, a healthier life. With attitude we can truly have a life at a European level and standard ”Sorin Mierlea - President of the InfoCons Association.
More details www.inchide-stinge-recicleza.ro